||Dept. of Electrical Communication Engineering,
Institute of Science
Bangalore - 560012
||(Off) : (+91)-80-2293 2282 or 2293 2747.
| PALLAPA VENKATARAM Received the
Ph.D degree in Information Sciences from the University of Sheffield, U.K.in
He is currently a Professor of Electrical Communication Engineering with Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, where he is involved in Wireless Access Research and Protocol Engineering. He has more than 35 years of academic experience. He started a technical unit called Protocol Engineering and Technology Unit (PET Unit) for Internet protocol design and testing. Currently, he is the Chief Program Executive of the unit.
Previously he was with Hindustan Aeronautical Limited, Bangalore, India, as a Deputy Manager ( Computers) from 1980 to 1982, where he worked mainly on systems design for financial and material management systems. He was a Visiting Scientist at the University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA and at the University of Montreal, Canada, in 1992.In 1995, he was a Visiting Researcher at the University of Enschede, The Netherlands. He was a Visiting Professor at NORTEL (Northern Telecom), Canada in 1998 and at SK University, Anantapur, India, in 1997.
He was a Visiting Professor at Imperial College, London, during 2004 - 2006 (Visiting one month/year), under Indo-UK research collaboration program. He serves on several advisory committees and frequently consults to Government and Industry.
He was the convener for the National Symposium on Engineering Education (NSEE-2005) and Program Chair and Technical Chair for several International/National Conferences/Workshops/Symposia.
He has written a book on Communication Protocol Engineering, Prentice-Hall of India (PHI), New Delhi, 2004 (Co-author: Sunil Manvi). One of his book Design Aspects of Multimedia Information Systems will go into publication in a short duration with PHI. He has edited a book, entitled: Wireless Communications for Next Millennium, McGraw-Hill, 1998, written chapters for two different books, and a guest editor to the IISc Journal for a special issue on Multimedia Wireless Networks. Apart from the books he has published over 150 papers in International/National Journals/Conferences/Symposia. The complete list of publications can be found here.
- Protocol Engineering
- Wireless Networks
- Network Management
- Computational Intelligence applications in Communication
- Multimedia systems
ADMINISTRATIVE POSTS HELD:
- Chairman of Center for Continuing Education, IISc
- Chief Program Executive of Protocol Engineering and Technology (PET)-Unit
- The Coordinator ERNET-Project
- Chairman of JRD Tata Memorial Library (Mar 2001 - May 2003)
- Co-Chairman of the Senate Library Committee (SLC) (Mar 2001 - May 2003)
- Member of MHRD Project on Credit Based Outreach Education Programme, Govt. of India.
- Member of National Programme for HRD in IT, Dept. of Secondary & Higher Education, Govt. of India.
- Member of Governing Council, Core R&D Division, Indian Telephone Industries (ITI) Ltd, Bangalore.
- Member of Local Inspection Committee(LIC) for Engineering Education in Karnataka State
AWARDS / HONOURS RECEIVED
- Listed in 2004 Marquis WHO'S WHO IN THE WORLD.
- Received an University Research Program (URP) award from Cisco Systems, Inc.,
USA., to do the research in "Design and development of Routing Intelligent Mobile
Agents (RIMAs) for Internet Routing", Feb., 2001
- Diploma of Excellence from the Orrego University, Trujillo, PERU
- CDIL award for a paper in Journal of IETE, 1992
- Best paper award for a paper presented in GLOBECOM'93
- Best paper award for a paper presented in INM'95
- Recipient of UNDP Award for a short visit to USA, 1995
- Senior Member of IEEE Computer Society
- Member of IEICE (The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers), Japan
- Fellow of IEE (Institute of Electronics Engineers), England
- Fellow of IETE (Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers), India